Audiobook Review: The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2 Comments A+ a-


I first heard about this book when Oprah did an interview with Cormac McCarthy. Her interview left me captivated and intrigued. How could a book about a boy and his dad walking be SO good?

As I began the audiobook, which superstar 
Tom Stechschulte did an amazing job of narrating, I though to myself, "this book isn't really that great." They're walking on the road, looking for food. What's the fuss all about? But then, I kept listening. And listening. And I began to feel what the book was about. I began to feel how strong the bond was between the father and son. I began to see myself and my son as the characters in the book. And, soon, I realized that this really was a good book.

Do I recommend it? Yes, certainly. It's really a book like nothing I've ever read. It's a great story that also puts the fear of God into me for the characters. I think the most terrifying thing in the world is to have the feeling that, at any given second, of any given day, there's a good chance you might not see tomorrow. Cormac captures this fear perfectly.

The Road was awarded the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.
And, the completion of this audiobook also leads to my completion of
Goal #19 Listen To Ten Books On Tape
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...