Hungarian Apple Fritters (AKA Palachinka or Palacsinta) - Just Like My Grandma's

Sunday, December 05, 2010 0 Comments A+ a-

Well, they're not just like my grandma's. I think, no matter how hard I try, I'll never get mine to tase how my grandma & mother's apple fritters tasted growing up. But, it's still fun to try! 

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 egg
1 apple

  1. Mix ingredients above (except apple) into large mixing bowl. 
  2. Core apples & slice across - so there's a circle in the middle.
  3. Mix sliced apples into batter.
  4. Fry in crisco.



Mixing the apples into the batter

I might use olive oil next time... I'm not a fan of cooking with solid fats

A plateful of delicious apple fritters

Add a little extra milk to the batter & use the rest to make crepes... or palascinta, as my grandma called them. They're excellent with some cottage cheese & cinamon sugar sprinkled on top.


What are some favorite foods you always loved when you were younger? Are there any family recipes you'd like to pass on to your children?



UPDATE 9-10-13: I just got a new book Cooking the Hungarian Way that includes another recipe for Palacsinta as well as a walnut filling and a chocolate sauce as well. I highly recommend this book if you're looking for some good Hungarian recipes. :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...