Pregnant & Eating For Way More Than Two...

Sunday, May 29, 2011 0 Comments A+ a-

For every cute prego pic, trust me, there's an equally
un-cute one, where I just look like a sloppy huge mess!
"I'm SO fat," I say.
"You're not fat, you're pregnant. There's a difference," my husband replies.

It seems to be a mini-conversation we have almost daily. Yes, I'm pregnant. I've also gained a lot more weight that I should have for being pregnant. And, long gone are the days when gaining to much weight when you're pregnant just meant it was harder to "get your body back" after the baby is born. Excess weight gain during pregnancy has been tied to a number of complications during labor AND predisposes your child to becoming obese too. Not cool.

At 5'8", I got pregnant at 140lbs - right in the middle of the healthy BMI range. I've since gained 43 pounds... 8 pounds over what my recommended weight gain is for pregnancy... and I have an entire month left to go. Yikes!

I honestly had NO idea why I was gaining so much weight. I ate healthy. Well, at least I tried to tell myself I did. My main meals were always relatively healthy. But, I didn't count my little "snacks" here and there. You see, every day, I'd grab a little snack after Phoenix went down for a nap... or once he was to bed for the night... or both.  It was usually
  • A bowl (or two) of ice cream
  • A vanilla wafers with nutella on top
  • Peanut butter mixed with powdered sugar & chocolate chips
  • A row of rackers & spread with a half-block of cream cheese
YUM! I was pregnant, so I certainly allowed myself these "little" snacks. No harm in that, right?

Well, it turns out that for my age, height, and activity level I should be consuming 1,750 calories per day to maintain my weight. (I used this calculator) Add an extra 200 calories because I'm in my 3rd trimester, and I should be consuming 1,950 calories a day.

Then I did some calculating. It turn out that I've been eating closer to 4,000 calories a day! Yikes! And guess where a lot of it was from? Those "little" snacks! I would easily eat 800+ calories each time I sat down to snack. No wonder I've been gaining so much weight!       

So, last week, I decided I was DONE. I signed up for SparkPeople to track my calories. And, I decided I was going to hold myself accountable for everything I ate. No more snacks that don't count. No more if-I-eat-something-quickly-enough-it-won't-count. It all counts.

And... so far, things have been going well. I've been eating much healthier. I've been tracking everything I eat. I hold myself accountable. I've been filling up on healthy foods. I've been backing off on my unhealthy, calorie-laden snacks. And, I'm planning on to start posting some of my new-found low-calorie foods so you can enjoy them too. :)

It feels good to be back on track.  

Have you ever kept track of how many calories you eat in a day? Did you find the results correspond to your current weight? Leave a comment! 

If not, I highly suggest it. And, I found a site that makes it really easy too! They already have A TON of foods listed. All you have to do is add them to your daily food log. You can sign up via my referral link: http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/register.asp?from=friend&ReferredBy=10186067




THE FINE PRINT:
I was not compensated for this post. I do receive "points" for referrals, but I honestly have no idea what the points even do.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...