Easy Homemade Frozen Yogurt!

Saturday, June 25, 2011 0 Comments A+ a-

Guess what I made... from scratch? My very own strawberry frozen yogurt! And yes... it is as delicious as it looks! AND... a cup of this delicious goodness is only 118 calories!
My very first batch of low-calorie homemade Strawberry Frozen Yogurt! Pure heaven!

You see, I've been trying to eat a bit healthier lately. And, though I'm a BIG fan of yogurt... I'm really trying to cut back on my calorie and sugar intake... both real AND fake sugar. So, while I LOVE store-bought yogurt, I decided to try to make my own. I used the recipe from A Year Of SlowCooking, and am very impressed with how it's turned out!

It takes around 14 hours, but with minimal effort on your part. The crock pot does all the work! 

 Ingredients
  • 8 cups (½ gallon) whole milk (pasteurized and homogenized is fine, but do NOT use ultra-pasteurized)
    *I used 2%, and my yogurt was a bit runny... though perfect for the yogurt pops & frozen yogurt I planned on using it for*
  • ½ cup store-bought natural, live/active culture plain yogurt to use as a starter. Once you have made your own, you can use that as a starter.
    * I used Dannon All Natural
  • Thick bath towel

Directions
  • Plug in your crockpot and turn to low. Add an entire half gallon of milk. Cover and cook on low for 2½ hours.
  • Unplug your crockpot. Leave the cover on, and let it sit for 3 hours.
  • When 3 hours have passed, scoop out 2 cups of the warmish milk and put it in a bowl. Whisk in ½ cup of store-bought live/active culture yogurt. Then dump the bowl contents back into the crockpot. Stir to combine.
  • Put the lid back on your crockpot. Keep it unplugged, and wrap a heavy bath towel all the way around the crock for insulation.
  • Let it sit for 8 hours.
  • You're done! The yogurt will have thickened. It's not as thick as store-bought yogurt, but has the consistency of low-fat plain yogurt.
  • Chill in a plastic container(s) in the refrigerator. Your fresh yogurt will last 7-10 days. Save ½ cup as a starter to make a new batch.
Homemade Frozen Yogurt
I put 2 cups yogurt & about 10 frozen strawberries, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract in a blender to make strawberry frozen yogurt & yogurt pops. They both turned out delicious! And - I love that they're super-healthy! Feel free to use more strawberries... I'm planning on doubling the number of strawberries I use in my next batch. I don't think you can ever have too many strawberries!

Nutritional Data (1 Cup Yogurt Mixed With 5 Frozen Strawberries)
  • Calories: 118.6
  • Fat: 2.6 g
  • Carbs: 16.8 g
  • Sugars: 14.4 g
  • Protein: 8.2 g

If you enjoyed this post, get FREE updates by email.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...