The Business Of Being Born: What Every Pregnant Woman Deserves To Know

Saturday, July 23, 2011 0 Comments A+ a-

Having babies is a WONDERFUL thing! But, there is quite a bit I learned toward the end of my second pregnancy that I wish I had known earlier. If you're pregnant, or think one day you might be, I highly recommend watching the movie "The Business Of Being Born". (Available on Netflix & on DVD) It explains A LOT of things that every pregnant woman must be aware of.

Both of my children were delivered by an ob/gyn at a hospital. Knowing what I know now, I would never go back to my ob/gyn to have another child. I wanted both of my births to be as natural as possible. I didn't want unnecessary interventions. I didn't want an epidural. I didn't want a c-section. However, I didn't realize that the doctors didn't care what I wanted. My birth plan was looked at, and ultimately ignored. My doctors were just looking out for what was most convenient for them.

My Unnecessary C-Section
I was almost given an unnecessary c-section with my first child. In a nutshell, the doctor came to the hospital an hour or so after she was called in. I had no epidural as I held baby was crowning for 45 minutes, and we were just waiting for her to get there so could plush. My doctor eventually arrived, and actually took pride in the fact that she didn't get there right away - and even mentioned that she had to stop & get a cup of coffee on the way to the hospital. She said that if she would have gotten there right when we called, she would have given me a c-section because my labor wasn't progressing. (This reasoning behind justifying a c-section has become quite common...) BUT... my labor was progressing just fine! I just wasn't 100% ready to deliver when she would have gotten there. So, rather than wait for my labor to continue to progress, I would have been given a c-section, so she could get back to the office more quickly.

My Unnecessary Induction
With my second child,  I found out just days before I was due that if I didn't go into labor by my due date, I have to be induced the day after I'm due. My doctors informed me that they didn't like women to go 1 week past their due date, which I was (partially) ok with... but having to be induced the day after you're due? It just seemed beyond ridiculous to me. Apparently it was the only day the week after I'm due that my doctors were scheduling inductions. At the time, my baby was actually measuring perfectly, right around the 47% at my last ultrasound at 37 weeks, at that rate, she'd be slightly under 8 lbs if born on the due date. But since Phoenix was "big" at 8lbs 11oz, they're guessing that this baby will be the same.

I had always wanted everything to go as naturally as possible. Well, I'm not a big fan of being induced. I think women were made to have babies, and that, given no complications, can have them naturally... whenever the baby decides it's time. Reluctantly, I scheduled my induction as the doctors had asked me to. But, after a lot of contemplation, I decided to cancel my induction, and just let the baby arrive when she was ready. I was also never informed that this was an "elective" induction. I was never asked if I wanted to be induced - I was just told that I needed to be. I thought the doctors had my best intrest in mind at first, but I now realize that this was no longer the case. 

Luckily for me, an induction scheduled the day after I was due ultimately would have been too late anyways. My baby was born exactly on her due date, weighing less than the 9+ lbs my doctors claimed she would - their reasoning for needing an induction soon - at a healthy 6 lbs12 oz. My doctor wasn't on call, so my baby was delivered by the doctor on staff. And, though my doctor was in the hospital the next day (you know performing c-sections from all of the elective inductions...) she never even bothered to stop by my room to check on me.    

And, after watching the "The Business of Being Born" - everything suddenly made sense.



I wish I had known the information in this movie before I ever chose my health care provider for my pregnancy. And, hopefully, I can help spread the word about this issue, so other mothers like me can make the decisions they want regarding their pregnancy & delivery choices. It's important to be an informed consumer about everything... including the birth of your child.

For more info, check out:
The Truth About Pitocin
The Business of Being Born
Hypnobabies
Childbirth & Labor Info

Have you seen "The Business of Being Born"? What did you think? What are your thoughts on doctors not doing what's in the best interest for their patients, but what's more convenient for their schedule? Leave a comment.

THE FINE PRINT:
I have not received any compensation for writing this content and I have no material connection to the brands, topics and/or products that are mentioned herein. The opinions expressed are my own. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...