Taking The Pixie Haircut Plunge

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 0 Comments A+ a-


Lately, I've been enjoying every minute I can with Ariana. She smiles, and I smile back. Her coos, her giggles - they bring sunshine to every day. With her beautiful blue eyes and commanding smile, she exudes confidence like I've never before seen it a 4-month-old girl. She doesn't have much hair, but doesn't seem to care either. Whether she's in a cute flowered hat, adorable bow, or even accessory-free she's undeniably adorable. And... she's been rubbing off on me.

And, one day, as I sat in front of the mirror, blow-drying & straightening my hair for a quick trip out of the house, I suddenly realized... if Ariana doesn't need long hair to be pretty, then why do I? Getting ready in the morning can be quite taxing when you're caring for a toddler and a newborn at the same time. Phoenix wants to play... Ariana wants to eat... and every minute I'm spending in front of the mirror is... well... a waste of time. There is so much to do, most days, I'm lucky if I have time to even brush my hair. Now, don't get me wrong... there's nothing I love more than getting ready in the morning. But... when you're getting ready to a symphony of crying and whining, you just put that hairstyle on hold and take care of your children.

Yes, I get it... the moms who wear pajamas all day. The moms who wear no makeup and are lucky to squeeze in a shower before the day is over... I get it. Some days, it's just not worth the struggle.

So, what's a busy mother to do? I want to get ready in 5 minutes and still look cute. I want to have a cute haircut that styles itself.

And, the more I think, the more I realize...

Maybe I don't need to have long hair to be pretty. Maybe the length of my hair has nothing to do with how pretty I am. Perhaps beauty really does come from within. Ok, maybe a bit from the right lip gloss and eyeliner... but mostly from within. Either way, a short hairstyle would force my hidden confidence to shine through. There would be nothing to hide behind. With short hair, you'd get me. And... I'm ok with that.

So, I gave up my shoulder-length bob, and went for it. I went pixie short. If my daughter can be brave enough to rock a pixie... then I can too. :)


I'm still getting used to it. But, I think I'm starting to like it. If anything, I LOVE that I can get ready in a matter of minutes! It's super-easy to style, and looks much better than my quick ponytail I would normally have instead. And, it's just hair anyways. It'll always grow, so why not try something new & different now and then?

When's the last time you tried out a new hairstyle? Would you ever get a pixie haircut? Leave a comment.


Looking for a blogging prompt?
Are you inspired by this post? Leave a response on your own blog, and link back! 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...