Oprah's Lifeclass #1 - The False Power Of Ego

Saturday, December 31, 2011 0 Comments A+ a-

This post isn't sponsored by anyone. I just like Oprah & the whole Lifeclass concept. :)


About a year ago, Oprah started giving lessons that she has learned throughout her life in a series called "Oprah's Lifeclass." It was a series I really wanted to watch & participate in... but never did. We don't get cable, so there was really no way for me to watch the show. That's why I am so excited to have discovered the webcast portions of her classes are still available! And... with 2012 on the horizon, I felt like this was a perfect time to start. I'll be posting new videos here, for everyone who wants to participate as well.


Oct 10 Webcast: Oprah and Eckhart Tolle - The False Power of Ego
During the premiere episode of Oprah's Lifeclass, Oprah opened up about one of her biggest regrets: wheeling out a wagon filled with fat after losing weight. During the live webcast that followed the show, Oprah was joined by author and spiritual teacher Eckhart Tolle to discuss the false power of ego with viewers and members of the studio audience. Watch the complete conversation now.


The False Power Of My Ego
When I decided to blog about Oprah's Lifeclasses, and realized that the first one was about ego... I was pretty sure I would have nothing to write about. Within the first 12 minutes, I knew I was wrong. Truth be told, I think a false ego creeps up into many aspects of my life. 

For example, today we decided to go out for dinner, but I warned the hubby... if we go out, let me know, because I need to get ready. I'd been at home all day, and would never leave the house without at least spending 20 minutes fixing my hair & doing my makeup. Is that my false ego? You bet. The hubby insisted that I looked fine, and that there was nobody I needed to impress, but that little voice in my head was telling me other wise. 

"What if we run into one of your co-workers & they see how awful I look?" I said.
"Who cares what they think?" he replied.
"Well, I do," I said.
"Why?" he asked.
"I don't know," I replied.

That's just how it is for me. I don't want people to see me as ugly. I want to look nice. And, to be honest, I'm pretty sure it's from feeling ugly as a child. But, as much as I think that was just from a long time ago, it's obviously still affecting me today. I try to act like I don't care what people think. And, I've almost convinced myself on occasion that I'm not out to impress anybody... but it's not true.  


Where does your ego get in your way?
Leave a comment. 

I'm hoping to post about Oprah's Lifecasses on a weekly basis.
Sign up to receive an email when the next one is posted.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...