The Many Uses of Ivory (Homemade Laundry Detergent)

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 0 Comments A+ a-

received this product complimentary for testing purposes from Influenster and Ivory as a participant in the Mom VoxBox campaign. 

Recently, I wrote about my attempt to make homemade laundry detergent in an attempt to save money and have fewer chemicals in my life. Ultimately, I decided that it wasn't worth it, and I was just going to buy detergent.

Well, there was one flaw in my calculations. I figured out the cost by using a bar of Fels Naptha soap, which is $0.97 a bar. I never thought to try another soap, like Ivory, which is also rated to be great to use as a laundry soap.

Ivory is free of dyes and heavy perfumes, and is one of the cheapest soaps per oz. At just $0.45 per bar, it will cut the cost of my homemade powdered laundry detergent down. Plus... it also smelled much nicer! If you're new to making homemade laundry detergent, would just like to save a bit of money, or would like to give your laundry a fresh scent without being obnoxiously overpowering, you should really give my new homemade laundry detergent with Ivory soap a try.


Image Source: thethriftycouple.com
Recipe
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
1 bar Ivory soap


Directions
Use food processor to grind FIvory soap as finely as you can.
Add washing soda & borax to food processor & mix until powdery.

To Use
Add 1 tablespoon to washing machine & wash as usual.

The Results
It works! Stinky clothes go in the washing machine. Clean-smelling clothes come out. I haven't really tried this recipe out on stains, because, despite having a 3-year-old boy and a 1-year-old girl, we really just don't get that many stains. But, overall, I like it. It feels great to wash my clothes with a gentle homemade detergent instead of the store-bought ones that have overpowering scent.

Cost
Borax = 76 oz = (9.5 cups) = $3.39
Washing Soda = 55 oz = (6.875 cups) = $3.24
Ivory Soap - 10 bars = $4.49 ($0.45 each x6) = $2.70
Total Cost = $9.33

Cost Per Load Comparison
Homemade Detergent w/ Fels Naptha Soap - 1 tablespoon = 192 loads = 0.06 per load
Homemade Detergent w/ Ivory Soap - 1 tablespoon = 192 loads = 0.04 per load

What are your favorite uses for Ivory soap? Leave a comment below. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...