Organize It! How To Organize A Kids Room

Sunday, September 16, 2012 0 Comments A+ a-

As you know from this previous post, I'm on a major decluttering binge. It feels amazing to be freeing up space in my home to make room for the things that matter. I've decluttered my wardrobe about a year ago, and am extremely happy living with less. Fewer choices bring me extreme joy, and I've decided to take my clothes-decluttering philosophy to tackle my toddler's preschooler's room and toys. 

Step 1: Let Go Of What's Not Used
The best way to organize a lot of stuff is to get rid of the "stuff". Organize what is used on a regular basis & loved, and get rid of the rest.

On any given day, my preschooler will play with his wooden train set or his cars. That's pretty much it. Yet, his room is filled with other toys. Do I really need to keep toys my son never, or hardly ever plays with? Ultimately, I've decided that I don't. Yet, at the same time, I do respect the fact that they're his toys. So, rather than just invading his room and throwing things away, it's something we're going to do together. Sort of. Whenever I see an item that's not loved, I simply ask Phoenix if it's something that he wants to keep or give away. You'd be surprised how often he says he wants to give something away. Sometimes, he seems unsure about a toy, in which case I'll decide if it stays or goes simply by observing what he plays with. And, one of the biggest benefits is that after a major de-clutter, is that my son always ends up playing with a few new "keepers" that he forgot he even had. :)  

Step 2: Create A Place For Everything 
I don't have a before pic, but here's an after pic of my son's closet. We have a lot of goodies that I'm looking forward to selling in a garage sale. In fact, I think that we might even get Phoenix a small wooden train accessory if his toys end up selling. I'd rather just have a few toys that he loves rather than a closet full of toys he really doesn't enjoy.










I'll admit, it's hard to part with your stuff... but I've found the quote below very helpful to think about as I'm decluttering my son's bedroom. 




I wish you the best of luck tackling your challenge. Remember, less is truly more when it comes to toys! 

For inspiration, check out The Minimalist Mom - I find her blog incredibly inspirational in my journey to live a happy life with less stuff.

I'd love to hear what you think of this post. Leave a comment below. 



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...