Henna, Henna, What Is Henna?

Saturday, October 20, 2012 0 Comments A+ a-


I recently colored my hair with henna, and can't wait to share my before and after pics in a blog post. But, before I do, I wanted to tell you a bit about henna & why I'm using it to color my hair.

What Is Henna?
Henna is small bush grown in the hot, dry climates of the Middle East. It's been used since antiquity to dye skin, hair, fingernails, leather and wool. For a lot more info on henna, check out this e-book.

Why Use Henna?
I love having red hair! I have even wrote about my favorite box color, Feria Copper Shimmer, but typical hair dyes tend to fade quickly. I heard that henna is the only way to keep your red hair from fading. So far, so good!

In addition, henna is the only non-toxic way to color your hair. It doesn't matter how natural your hair color claims to be... if it's not henna, it's toxic. Check out your hair color at EWG's Skin Deep. You'll likely find that it's one of the hundreds of hair colors rated as highly hazardous to your health. You ever wonder why it's highly advised for pregnant women not to color their hair? Well, it's because it's basically poison. You wouldn't be allowed to work near the stuff without a hazmat suit on because of how bad it is... but lax regulation in the beauty industry allows us to slather it all over our heads every few weeks.

I know, I know. I see you rolling your eyes. Everything gives you cancer. I've heard it more than once, and I get it. To be honest, it's a horrible way to think. You become a victim of your life. Do you really want to have no control your life?  just something that happens to you.

That's not me. I choose to take control of my life.

Ok... now where was I? Oh yeah... 

Toxic? Really? 
Yes. Toxic. Here are just a few nasty ingredients you're likely slathering on your scalp without realizing it...

P-PHENYLENEDIAMINE 
Concerns: Cancer, Developmental/reproductive toxicity, Neurotoxicity, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Ecotoxicology, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Occupational hazards, Use restrictions

OCTOXYNOL-40 
Concerns: Endocrine disruption, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Multiple, additive exposure sources, Ecotoxicology, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Contamination concerns (ETHYLENE OXIDE, 1,4-DIOXANE, C9 PHENOLS, ETHYLENE OXIDE, 1,4-DIOXANE, C9 PHENOLS), Use restrictions

RESORCINOL 
Concerns: Cancer, Endocrine disruption, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Ecotoxicology, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Occupational hazards, Use restrictions

And, these are just a few of the things found in hair color. If health is a concern for you, I highly recommend switching to henna. I tried Henna Hut, which works great, and I'm excited to show you my photos soon! :)


PS - Hair dye isn't the only toxin we're living with either. Be sure to check out my posts about toxic makeup foundationtoxic nail polish, as well as the harmful toxic BPA in Tupperware


Love this post? Hate it? Let me know & leave a comment. :)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...