Best Chapter Books To Read Aloud To Preschoolers & Kindergardeners?

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 0 Comments A+ a-

When Phoenix goes to bed, we usually leave a cd on for him to listen to. Most of the time, it's Legend: The Best Of Bob Marley , which is his absolute favorite cd. I think he enjoys the music so much that he often has a hard time falling asleep to it. So, today, I decided to switch it up by letting him listen to an audio book. What better to put a preschooler to sleep than an audio book, right?

I chose Superfudge by Judy Blume. The audiobook came with 3 cds, so I popped them all into his cd player, so the book will play non-stop for about 3 hours. He fell asleep to the 1st cd... not too far in. And, upon learning a bit more, I think I chose the worst book ever to let him listen to on his own. After doing a bit of research on Superfudge, I found out that Blume “outs” Santa in the book. (Hear that sound? It's me frantically running into Phoenix room to stop the cd player.) At one point, Peter talks about the fact that he never believed in Santa Claus because he’d seen his parents putting presents under the tree when he was three years old. *gasp* I had always thought Jude Blume's series was safe, but I'm going to have to reconsider it now. It looks like the Santa stuff doesn't happen until chapter 10, so it looks like I'm safe. *phew* I'm gonna have to double-check when he wakes up. :(

So parents... please help me! Phoenix just turned 4 years old. Do any parents have good suggestions for chapter books to read to the preschool or kindergarten crowd? Please leave a comment below! I'll be adding your suggestions to a list I'll add to this post. 

Thank you so much! :)


UPDATE 1/19/2013
Thanks to Read Aloud Dad for the great suggestions in the comments section!

He says:

If you want chapter books - you can't go wrong with Three Tales of My Father's Dragon as the first chapter book. It is the PERFECT candidate for beginning chapter-book read-alouds. 

Another great one is The Enchanted Wood trilogy (followed by Magic Faraway Tree and Folk of Faraway Tree) by Enid Blyton, try it out - it is a fabulous read-aloud. After you finish The Enchanted Book Trilogy - you will be hungry for more of Blyton's fabulous read-aloud treats, so don't fret - just move on to Blyton's The Wishing Chair trilogy. 

Also, don't miss the Jenny and the Cat Club series - it is magical. My kids got hooked on all the above books and they enjoyed them at that age. 

A book that I also highly recommend, but not a chapter book (!) is James Herriot's Treasury for Children. Fabulous for vocabulary building. 

Then there is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz series, it will help sustain your reading for a long time. I think that there are 13 or 14 Oz books penned by Baum that are part of the original Oz series. 

Later don't, don't miss Astrid Lindgren's books - start with the Emil (Emil and the Great Escape , Emil's Clever Pig , Emil and the Sneaky Rat , ...) books first! Then follow it up with The Children of Noisy Village and her side-splitting classic The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking

Read Aloud Dad


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...