Wednesday, January 02, 2013

I Quit Facebook

Yes, I quit Facebook.

Two weeks ago, I wrote about How To Quit Facebook Forever. I had written the post about a month ago, and was really trying to control my Facebook habit. Well, that day I published the post, I officially deleted my personal Facebook account as well. (I'm still keeping my blog's page because it looks good for PR, and it has never really been a problem for me.) I sent an email to a few of the people I chatted with the most on Facebook, and logged out for good.

Today, I feel free. I feel like I have my life back again. To be honest,  I don't even miss Facebook. Well, that much anyways.

There was no big thing that happened that made me quit for good. It was more of a buildup of small things that I just didn't want to deal with anymore.

  • It Sucks Up My Time - I have been managing my Facebook habit for quite some time now. I try to keep the time I spend online in check, but I'll admit that it's hard for me to do. I keep my laptop right next to my chair in the living room, so when I'm feeding Ariana or she's napping (almost always in my arms), I can have something to do to keep me busy. The problem is that during any given moment, I'm usually just a few feet away from my computer, making it all too easy for me to check to see what's being posted. There was no reason for me to be checking it every 30 minutes or so.

    Plus, it's not just the constant checking... but the constant replying I was doing too. I often had friends posting on controversial topics, and it wouldn't be uncommon for me to spend 30 minutes writing something just to reply to somebody's comment.

    Why is that so bad? Well, that's time I'm supposed to be giving to my children. It's not fair to them that they're not my #1 priority at home. After all, that's the whole reason I decided to become as stay-at-home-mom in the first place.


  • It Felt Empty - It's nice to have a social outlet like Facebook, but it started become more and more apparent to me that the relationships I was building weren't real. Sure, it was nice to get in touch with a few people from high school, but then what? Do I just stalk their updates? Sure, their kids might be cute, and we have something new & amazing in common as mothers, but where does it go from there?

    The other day, my sister just called to say hi... to see what I've been up to, and for the first time, it just really felt great to chat on the phone. It seems like that now I'm not focused on the clutter of Facebook, I'm more interested in nurturing relationships in real life.

  • It Took Me Away From Enjoying The World - I never wanted to be one of those moms who would always be on her phone, and not paying attention to her kids. I still don't have a smart phone for that very reason. But, I do have an iPod touch... and though I couldn't connect to the internet away from home, I would absolutely take it with me when I would go outside with the kids so I could catch up on Facebook updates instead of actually playing with my children & enjoying the outdoors. Quitting Facebook was a must if I was to ever want to spend time just being there with my kids, and not pre-occupied by a computer.

  • I Want To Live By Example - I don't want my children to be addicted to technology. I don't want to have that kid who's always playing a video game instead of interacting with people. You miss out on what life has to offer when you spend your life in front of a screen. I don't want them to have the latest gadget to tune out the world. I want them to be able to just live and experience life in a natural way.
  • I Needed To Free My Mind - I felt like Facebook was becoming my life... not only when I was online, but when I was offline too. Whenever the kids would do something cute, I'd automatically start writing a Facebook update in my head. Not only that, but I'd obsess with what other people were doing too. I needed my thoughts back, before they became consumed by Facebook updates.

  • It Was My Gateway Drug - The pattern was simple. I'd log in, and read an article that was posted. I'd return to leave a few opinions about the article. Then, I'd repeat. It seems simple enough, but Facebook often served as my gateway drug to the rest of the internet. Instead of simply being a Facebook problem, it turned into a problem where I was just spending too much time all together online... and it was mostly because of Facebook. I don't watch too much television, so I still spend time online to simply relax. But, since quitting Facebook a week ago, I've went from clocking 5 1/2 hours a day online to 3 1/2 hours... a huge improvement for me! Even better, most of this time is when the kids are taking naps or in bed for the night. For me, that's a huge victory!


Facebook, it's been fun, but I'm excited to be moving on to the next chapter of my life. #livinglifeoffline

PS - Want to join me and delete your Facebook account too? It's simple - you simply just delete your account here. Or, check out my post on How To Quit Facebook for ways to help you get your Facebook habit under control.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

 

It Keeps Getting Better Copyright © 2009-2013 Shopping Bag is Designed by Ipietoon