How To Declutter Toys

Friday, March 01, 2013 0 Comments A+ a-


It's March... and I've been working hard on figuring out how to declutter toys. You see, I have major issues with clutter. A messy house makes me stressed out & edgy. I don't feel like I can truly relax in a messy home. I know moms who just say that having a messy house is just part of having children, and that you'll eventually get used to it. Well, I've been a mom for 4 years, and I have yet to get used to having a messy home.

With the toy influx brought on from a December birthday and Christmas... I can't help but notice how many toys my kids have. Seriously... they're everywhere. I could spend all day cleaning toys, and in no less than 5 minutes, out house is a complete mess again. Phoenix's closet is still pretty organized and clean. What's most important is that I've had time to observe what my kids play with and what they don't play with. This way, I don't feel like I need to involve them in the process... and things will hopefully run much smoother with only one person making the decisions. It's easier for me when I don't have a child suddenly interested in a long-lost toy I'm preparing to donate or throw away.

So, want to know how to declutter toys? It's easier than you think! Here are four simple questions to help you decide what to keep.
  • Is the item played with on a regular basis?Is it something that is played with daily? Every other day? Then, you can keep it. Your child loves these toys. If it's not, get rid of it. There is no sense in keeping toys that your child doesn't love to play with.
  • Is the item in good condition?Only keep toys in good condition. For us, this means getting rid of paper money that has been ripped to shreds as well as those boxes of play food that are tore all apart.
  • Do you have more than one of it?
    If you have toys that are duplicates or that are similar, consider getting rid of them. For things like cars, take note of what your child gravitates toward, and keep those. Get rid of the rest. Chances are, he won't miss them.
  • Is the toy open-ended?Kids like toys that encourage open-ended play, meaning he gets to decide what to do with them. If your kids are like mine, toys designed for a specific purpose, to be played with in one specific way, never tend to hold their attention. Consider getting rid of toys that simply require the child to sit there and press a button while the toy does all the work.
I just went through this process, and narrowed quite a bit of our kids stuff as a result. I also did something different... for the things in good condition, I simply kept them in a bag that I'll put up... just in case we decide we need some of them. I realize that this is completely unlikely. However, it does buy me some time to decide if I'm going to donate or try and sell them.

It's Your Turn!
What do you think? What would you suggest to parents looking for advice on how to declutter toys? Share your thoughts in the comments box below.

Did you find this post helpful? Spread the love by sharing on Pintrest, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...