To Spank Or Not To Spank

Spanking. It seems as people either love it or hate it. Much like other hot-button issues, spanking is a topic that everybody has an opinion on. Well, today, I'm sharing my opinion on spanking.

So... I'm against spanking. There are many reason why - many of which are covered in the article about my My Unconventional Approach To Discipline. I'm not saying I've never spanked my child, but I know it's wrong, and I am trying my hardest to never do it again. Over the past few years, I've collected a few quotes & stories on spanking that I thought I'd share.




Astrid Lindgren, Author Of Pippi Longstocking 

This is an excerpt from the speech, delivered by Astrid Lindgren, when she collected the German Booksellers’ Peace Prize:

"When I was about twenty years old, I met an old pastor's wife who told me that when she was young and had her first child, she didn't believe in striking children, although spanking kids with a switch pulled from a tree was standard punishment at the time. But one day when her son was four or five, he did something that she felt warranted a spanking--the first in his life. And she told him he ...would have to go outside and find a switch for her to hit him with. The boy was gone a long time. And when he came back in, he was crying.

He said to her, 'Mama, I couldn't find a switch, but here's a rock you can throw at me.' All of the sudden a mother understood how the situation felt from the child's point of view: that if my mother wants to hurt me, it makes no difference what she does it with; she might as well do it with a stone.

The mother took the boy onto her lap and they both cried. Then she laid the rock on a shelf in the kitchen to remind herself forever: never violence."


The Facts About Spanking

This video alone changed the entire way I viewed spanking. I think it's important for every parent to watch, so they can make an informed decision on whether to spank or not. 

EXCUSES (From Video)

But, my parents spanked me and I turned out fine!
Smoking only kills 1/3 of long-term smokers. The problem is that you don't know ahead of time if smoking is going to kill you or not, so that's why it's a good idea to quit. And, you probably did turn out fine, but that doesn't mean you couldn't have turned out even better than if you weren't.

Spanking is necessary for good behavior. 
The reality is that children who are not spanked are, on average, the best behaved and have the lowest rates of psychological problems. Spanking creates and exacerbates the very behaviors than spanking is designed to inhibit. Violence or aggression almost always achieves the opposite of its intended goal.

You can't reason with a 3-year-old.
There is overwhelming evidence that spanking is an ineffective form of discipline  If you say you can hit your child because you can't reason with him, then you should at least be open to reason yourself. Accept reason and evidence, and change your behavior... because you can't really have a higher standard for a 3-year-old than you have for yourself. You can't say aggression is valid because you can't reason with a 3-year-old, and then reject reason and evidence yourself. That would be pretty hypocritical.


Louis CK's Thoughts On Spanking

"I really think it’s crazy, that we hit our kids. It really is. Here’s the crazy thing about it, kids are the only people in the world, that you’re allowed to hit. Do you realize that? They’re the most vulnerable and they’re the most destroyed by being hit, but it’s totally okay to hit them. And they’re the only ones! 

If you hit a dog, they will put you in jail for that sh*t. You can’t hit a person unless you can prove that they were trying to kill you, but a little tiny person with a head this big that trusts you implicitly? F*ck them, who gives a sh*t?" 


Now, it's your turn! What do you think about spanking? Leave a comment below. 

Blog Archive