My Kids And Manners

Sunday, May 26, 2013 0 Comments A+ a-

Lately, Phoenix has been having a bit of an attitude lately. His once-impeccable manners seem to have disappeared. I'm not a fan of telling him what do do. (Ex. asking him "What do you say?" after somebody gives him something.) I want him to be thankful for something because he is truly thankful... not because he is forced to say something. I fall under the "Mayim Bialik" philosophy of manners. (How To Teach Manners Without Having To Teach Manners).

But lately, I've been noticing more of a lack of manners on Phoenix's part. So, here's what I'm going to do about it.

  1.  Model appropriate behavior. Perhaps I've stopped using manners like I used to. I'm going to make sure to really focus on modeling correct manners as often as possible.
  2. Books - when in doubt, we get books. Here are some of the latest books on manners and kids I'll be reading to Phoenix. this way, he can learn what to say, without anyone forcing  him to do it.



  3. Look for "manners moments" without demanding that manners are used. What does this mean? Well, today, Phoenix asked me nicely to get his garbage truck down. I did, and handed it to him very nicely - with both hands. As I handed it to him slowly - almost as if presenting the toy. He then decided, on his own, to say thank you. I think that if I just would have tossed it on his floor, or not made it something "special" that he might not have thanked me for it. Sometimes when you create perfect situations where manners would fit perfectly, manners just happen naturally.


Do you have any tips or advice regarding kids and manners? I'd love to hear! Feel free to leave a comment below. As always, I read and respond to each and every one. :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...