Our Family Vacation - Cat Island, The Bahamas

Sunday, May 12, 2013 0 Comments A+ a-

I had always wanted to sneak away to a secluded island. No televisions. No internet. No telephones. Just me and the island. For the longest time, I thought that this "dream vacation" was out of my reach. Then, I decided I was wrong.

There was no reason that I couldn't go on my dream vacation. Instead of using kids as a reason to not go on such a crazy, wild vacation, they became the reason why I had to go. So, a few months ago, we threw caution to the wind, and booked out family a vacation on Cat Island in The Bahamas.

So... Why Cat Island?

I've been fortunate to have been to some amazing places before kids... including Nassau (where Ken & I got married), Maui, Oahu, Cancun, and more. These places were amazing, but they were also touristy. My favorite place... in the world had been was when we went to Tulum, Mexico... and had visited a Mayan Village. Small thatched huts, little to no electricity, and the happiest people in the world. It was life. Just life... and I wanted to experience that again. 

So, I started researching small islands, and came upon Cat Island. There are no big-name resorts... only privately-owned villas. As one of The Bahamas least-explored islands, I immediately knew this was the place for us.

What sealed the deal for me was finding the Halvorson House. Those of you who know me know that I'm a bit of a penny-pincher. Finding a 2-bedroom, 2 bathroom villa on a private beach in the Bahamas for $150 a night was just something I couldn't pass up. *squee* I'm still patting myself on the back for finding this place. More about that later. :) What you need to know now is that for six days, our family joined the 1,678 residents of Cat Island, and had the vacation of a lifetime.

The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences." ― Jon Krakauer, Into the Wild

So... Why Now? 

It is no coincidence I booked our family's vacation to Cat Island right after the Sandy Hook shooting. As a mother, the events that happened there weighed on my heart heavily. It was a very real reminder to me that none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow. I felt a desire to stop putting off things until another day. I felt a desire to do follow the dreams I have for my family as soon as possible.

“The life you have left is a gift. Cherish it. Enjoy it now, to the fullest. Do what matters, now.” ― Leo Babauta


We just got back last night, so there's a lot of catching up I need to do. I'm hoping to go through the photos from out nice camera sometime this week. Until then, here are two little gems I took via Instagram. Enjoy!


A crazy-beautiful pic I had to take. A week with no tv, no Internet, no phones, just this. :)



Day 1: Right after we arrived, the resident horse, Gretchen, followed us to our villa... giving me a photo opp I couldn't pass up.

Is there something you've been wanting to do, but keep putting off? I'd love to hear about it. Leave a comment below. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...