50 Things Liberals Love To Hate by Mike Gallagher {Book Review}

Friday, June 28, 2013 0 Comments A+ a-

50 Things Liberals Love To Hate
The other day, while scrolling through audiobooks to listen to, I came across one with an inviting title - 50 Things Liberals Love to Hate. Sounded fun! I honestly didn't know what a Liberal was, but I was pretty sure I wouldn't like them. Then, I started listening to this list, and I realized something. I'm a Liberal. And, like this list says... I sure love to hate a lot of stuff!

#50 - McDonalds. Yup, hate it. I hate that it's unhealthy, crappy food that is slowly killing America. Do I eat there? Yes, on a very rare occasion. They don't exactly have veggie burgers on the menu, and their salads are blah. Why can't they serve good food? Where's the falafel burger? How about some hummus & fries? Why not BBQ tofu? I guess I look for a little more variety than what McDonalds is able to serve up.

#49 - American Flag Pins. Nope. It's not a fashion choice I make, but I don't really care about this one.

#48 - NASCAR. Lol - certainly not a NASCAR fan here. But, truth be told, I don't like watching any sports. I think they're boring.

#47 - Steak Houses. Don't love 'em. Again, they don't exactly cater to vegetarians. And, a side house salad isn't something worth even going out for.

#46 - The Pilgrims. Well, I did find myself not loving the Pilgrims this Thanksgiving. Why? Well, taking land from the Native Americans wasn't a cool move in my book, nor was killing them in the process.

#45 - John Wayne. Really? People hate John Wayne? I've never seen any of his movies. I don't know much about him, but certainly don't hate him.

#44 - George Bailey (AKA People Who Lend Money). Nope. I put nearly everything on my credit card. I'm happy to have a mortgage as well. I try my hardest to keep our family's spending in check. Living off of one income can be tough, but we make it work.

#43 - Walmart. Yup. I hate Walmart. I hate that their stores are dirty. I hate that they always run under-staffed. I hate that they pay their workers so little, when they can afford to pay everyone who works there 2-3 times their current salary. I hate that they drive small business out of the community. I hate that most of the money spent at Walmart is purely going to make the richest people in America even richer... without any concern for the hard-working people working in the stores to make that money.

#42 - Football. Well, hate is a strong word, but I certainly don't like football. I grew up in a house where the television always seemed to be tuned to football, basketball, or golf, and I hated it. I never understood why watching other people play sports was so interesting. I'd much rather be the one actually participating in the sport. In case you're wondering, my favorite sports are are... surfing, snowboarding, and swimming.

#41 - Conservative Women. They're way wrong on this one. I think conservative women are pretty cool. I like who Sarah Palin is as a person - thanks to Sarah Palin's Alaska. (Though as a President or Vice President... not so much.) I also think the Duggars are pretty cool too. I love how they put their family at the forefront of their lives. And, hey, if Michelle Duggar isn't conservative, then I don't know who is!

#40 - Black Republicans. Um, what? Yes, I had to Wiki this to find out who they were. Apparently this includes a bunch of people I certainly don't hate... Clarence Thomas, Colin Powell, and Condoleezza Rice to name a few.

#39 - Christians. No. I don't hate Christians.

#38 - The Bible. To be completely honest, I've never read the whole thing. I've tried a few times, but end up loosing steam in Genesis... right around this part:
"And these are births of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth, and born to them are sons after the deluge. Sons of Japheth are Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras. And sons of Gomer are Ashkenaz, and Riphath, and Togarmah." —Genesis 10:1-3

#37 - The South. I don't hate the South, but I think the world could do without the unhealthy eating & racism that one might find there.

#36 - The West. The West? Really? What's to hate about the West?

#35 - Boys. /sigh

#34 - Girls. They're really just trying to come up with anything to add to this list, aren't they?

#33 - Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. I think the Boy Scouts could be a little more accepting. I was a Girl Scout growing up, and loved it.

#32 - Honesty. Honesty is the best thing in the world.

#31 - Success. True success is great. Hand-me-down success? The success that you get handed just because someone else you're related to was successful? I think that's deplorable.

#30 - The Second Amendment. Right now, if I'm being completely honest, I'm torn on this one. Do I wish less people would die because of gun violence? Of course. But, I think that hunters should be allowed to hunt to provide food for their families.

#29 - The First Amendment. I love the First Amendment! Freedom of religion, freedom from religion, and freedom of speech all rolled into one. That's awesome.

#28 - Pools and Patios. I think they're great... for other people. Right now, my kids are too little, and I just wouldn't feel safe having a backyard pool. After all, backyard pools cause more deaths than guns.

#27 - The Suburbs. I live in the Cleveland suburbs, and while they're not perfect, I certainly don't hate them. Though, I have been developing an appreciation of the seclusion of rural areas lately.

#26 - Freeways. Freeways make things easier. Much easier. I don't think I could live without them. Okay, actually I could. But if I was working in Cleveland, it would make my commute a bit more unpleasant.

#25 - Babies. *squee* Babies! I love babies! (Though, as of today, there are no currently no plans to add to our brood.)

#24 - Seniors. It depends. High school seniors can be a bit know-it-all-ey and obnoxious. But, senior citizens can be pretty cool. I love when they give my kids attention at restaurants... it's just too cute! And, ya know my kids love them right back. :)

#23 - Taking Risks. Calculated risks can be good, especially when it's part of living a full life.

#22 - Small Businesses. Small businesses are what's going to save the economy. I think our economy will collapse without them.

#21 - American Toyotas. Um, I have no stance on this.

#20 - Immigrants. Um... weren't we pretty much all immigrants at one time?

#19 - Workers. Who on earth would hate workers?!

#18 - Teachers. Again... who on Earth would hate teachers?!

#17 - Doctors and Patients. Doctors are amazing, and life-savers. I just wish doctors were trained more in natural healing ways instead of just prescribing drugs.

#16 - Science. Oh, I LOVE science. In fact, not too long ago I even wanted to be a particle physicist. And an astronaut.

#15 - Algae. Hating algae is just stupid... next question.

#14 - V-8 Engines. Hate an engine? Hate it? Really?

#13 - Bright Lights. I love bright lights. They make me feel happy. :)

#12 - The Berlin Wall. Yeah, I think we could have done without The Berlin Wall.

#11 - Charity. True charity is great... however many charities aren't charities at all, just corporations.

#10 - Profit. Profit is good, but it should belong to the masses, not to the owners of Walmart. (Yeah, I hate Walmart.)

#9 - Talk Radio. I used to listen to Rover's Morning Glory religiously... and loved it! That's talk radio, right?

#8 - American History. There's good, and there's bad.

#7 - The Military. Having a military is a necessary evil of being a superpower.

#6 - The Founding Fathers. The founding fathers were amazing. What we have today, we owe to them.

#5 - The States. Um... love the states.

#4 - The Constitution. Really? Who would hate the constitution?

#3 - E Pluribus Unum. Out of many, one. it's beautiful, and more than deserving to be our motto. Why did we ever change it?

#2 - Apple Pie. Okay, they got me here. I know I'm in the minority here, but yeah. Pies is gross... especially apple pie. Disgusting.

#1 - America. I think I love America... though I haven't lived anywhere else, so that's easy for me to say. Perhaps one day I'll travel the world with the family, but for now, all I have is America, and that's good enough for now.




Phew! That was a long blog post. Now it's your turn. Share your thoughts about any of the "50 Things Liberals Love To Hate" by leaving a comment below. As always, I read and respond to each and every comment. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...