A Look At Bloggy Conference 2013

Thursday, September 19, 2013 0 Comments A+ a-

When I stared blogging 4 years ago, I didn't know what I was doing. I simply wanted a way to keep my family in the loop with life now that I had a son. Before long, blogging had evolved into something that I could actually make a little bit of money with. Nothing major, certainly. Just enough that if I wanted to buy something small for myself, I had money to buy it with.

I had always wanted to attend a blog conference, but they were always more than I had wanted to spend. I simply couldn't justify spending $1,200 to go to a conference for my hobby that was barely making me that much money in an entire year.

Well, this all changed when I found out that Bloggy Conference 2013 was being held just 60 minutes from where i currently live, in my home town of Sandusky, Ohio. Tickets for the 3-day conference were just under $80, and the fact that it was so close meant that I could save money on a hotel, and just commute!

Friday, Sept 13, 2013
This was the kick off party. My ticket also allowed me to bring a guest, so I brought my niece Ammanda. I was hoping for a bit of a kick-off party, with speakers, etc. It actually turned out to just be a welcome dinner. The food was okay, but with my vegetarian diet, I was limited to the baked beans & potato salad. Perhaps the best thing about the welcome dinner was the handful of bloggers I met. One that stands out was Kristen from Celebrate Every Day With Me. Her son was super-chatty and adorable. I just know he would have gotten along great with my son Phoenix!

Saturday, Sept 14, 2013
Tiffany Noth from Bloggy Moms, and founder of Bloggy Conference
Today was the day the bulk of the sessions were to take place. From 9am-2:30pm, I learned about SEO, Pintrest, preparing a pitch for brands, and homeschool blogging. The SEO classes were by far the most helpful. Everything was incredibly helpful, without being over my head. We learned about key words, and the right tools to buy to use them effectively. (Yup, apparently there are no good free keyword tools.) It was also quite an eye-opener that I was pretty much the only blogger there using the Blogger platform! So, moving over to Wordpress is certainly on my to-do list. Especially when I found out I could do it for as little as $15 a year! Next, the session with other homeschool bloggers was incredibly valuable to me. In fact, these two together have motivated me to branch out & start a homeschool blog... but that's another post!

After the sessions were over for the day, we all got to head to Cedar Point for some fun! Ken isn't big on rollercoasters, so I took my Dad with me, and we had a great time! Not only did we go on all of the big rides (Top Thrill Dagster, Mantis, Gatekeeper, and Maxair) but, as any true blogger would, I also squeezed in some promo work for Skyo.com, with the hopes of winning a $500 prize. They had a scavenger hunt through the park, and to enter, you just needed to Tweet or Instagram yourself wearing their Skyo swag near each of the rides described in the clues. :)



Sunday, Sept 15, 2013
Sunday was a short day - just 9am to noon. The sessions I attended covered monetizing your blog with Sverve as well as SEO Part 2. The Sverve meeting was good, and I'm looking forward to registering with Sverve & working with brands through them. And, as expected, Dan Morris hit it out of the ballpark with his SEO Part 2.   

To Attend or Not To Attend
I had a great time, and learned a lot at Bloggy Conference 2013. Will I go next year? I'm not sure. I think one of the best things about going to a conference like this is the social aspect of connecting with other bloggers. If you love meeting new people, then I think a conference like this is a must for you. But, being the introvert that I am, I think I could kinda do okay without the social connection to other bloggers. What I really wanted was the classes... the info. If you're not planning on attending a blog conference, but still want to take your blog to the next level, I highly recommend checking out SEO expert Dan Morris at Common Sense Revenue. Not only does his website have a ton of helpful info, but you can also hire him personally to help your blog. From what I've heard, from people who have worked with him, he is worth every penny.

Have you ever attended a blog conference? What did you think? Leave a comment below. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...