Unplugging & Quitting My Internet Addiction

Thursday, September 05, 2013 0 Comments A+ a-



I've wrote about unplugging before. I've given myself Internet-Free Fridays, and it felt amazing! But, I don't do them every Friday. In fact, the last time I gave up internet for two whole days, I spend a ridiculous amount of time that entire month online. Seriously, the plan completely backfired. It's like I had to make up for that time I lost when I spent two days offline. Before that time, I hadn't had an internet-free day in quite a while. I had a few times, but always get sucked in during Ariana's nap time, when I hold her quietly in my lap in the living room recliner, while I browse the internet, blogs, and social media websites from my laptop.

I know that spend too much time online. Other blogs. Reddit. My blog. Yahoo Answers. Checking emails. Researching things. Looking up useless information on Google.

I desperately want to spend less time on my computer, but it's hard. I can't just throw away my laptop & get rid of my iPod. But still, I need a way to let go of this constant need to be on the computer. I think the first step in reducing the time I spend online is to track it. So, I'm downloading the computer-time tracker - RescueTime. My plan is to constantly work on reducing the number of hours I'm online, and I think a tracker like this is the best way for me to make that happen. My goal (it's here at #86) is to average two hours online per day for an entire month. Right now, I'm averaging around 2½ hours a day online.

Wish me luck. I'll be quite honest. It's hard for me to get away from my computer. And, it's the times like this when I realize that I need to get away.

So, rather than write even more about unplugging, I'm just going to do it. If you want to read a bit more, check out the article at Renegade Chicks on unplugging. She practically took the words right out of my mouth. :)

Are you addicted to the internet? Facebook? Texting? Television? Do you have advice on how to quit? Leave a comment below.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...