Ariana Counting... But Not Really

Monday, March 03, 2014 0 Comments A+ a-

When Phoenix was younger, I think I pushed him a bit more to achieve all of those milestones parents love to brag about to reassure themselves that they are, in fact, doing a good job parenting. With Ariana, I have certainly changed my parenting & educational philosophy a bit. I now believe that unschooling is the best way for my children to learn right now. That means giving them the freedom to discover things on their own. These are a few of my favorite quotes about homeschooling:

“When you teach a child something you take away forever his chance of discovering it for himself.” ~ Jean Piaget

"There is no difference between living and learning... it is impossible and misleading and harmful to think of them as being separate.” ~ John Holt

“The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.” ~ Albert Einstein

“Children learn how to make good decisions by making decisions, not by following directions.” ~ Alfie Kohn

That being said, I'm not pushing Ariana to learn. I'm giving her the chance to discover the world around her on her own. I don't "teach" her colors, numbers, letters, etc. And, despite this, she's still picking up on them. And, because she's learning them on her own, at her own pace, I think the process of discovery is much more interesting & meaningful to her.

That said...
The other day, I decided to video her when I randomly asked her to say the alphabet & count. Having never been instructed on how to do either, she did pretty well! 




That's all for now. Thank you so much for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment. As always, I read and respond to each and every one. :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...