What's In A Name?

Saturday, April 26, 2014 0 Comments A+ a-


We never choose our own names, but yet they define us our entire lives. Perhaps that's why parents spend so much time obsessing over what to name their newborn babies.
Phoenix
Our son Phoenix's name arrived very quickly. Back then, the hubbs & I were majorly into World of Warcraft. We were looking for a name that was unique & strong. Ken had (apparently) jokingly suggested the name Phoenix, and I fell in love with it. I couldn't think of a cooler name. And... it didn't hurt that his name tied into World of Warcraft lore.  

The name Phoenix comes from the name of a beautiful immortal bird which appears in Egyptian and Greek mythology. After living for several centuries in the Arabian Desert, it would be consumed by fire and rise from its own ashes, with this cycle repeating every 500 years. The name of the bird was derived from Greek φοινιξ (phoinix) meaning "dark red".

ArianaAriana's name also has roots in pop culture... this time with the show Pretty Little Liars. My favorite character was Aria, and that's what I wanted to name our girl. Ken, however, wasn't into it. After what seemed like forever, we finally decided on Ariana. I liked how it has a nice melody to it. I also liked how it was one of the more less common names when she was born.   

The name Ariana ishe Latinized form of the name Ariadne (Greek: Ἀριάδνη; Latin: Ariadna; "most holy", Cretan Greek αρι [ari] "most" and αδνος [adnos] "holy"), the daughter of Minos, King of Crete, and his queen Pasiphaë, daughter of Helios, the Sun-titan, from Greek mythology. The name can also derive from the Welsh word 'arian', meaning silver.

Fun Facts 
  • The name Phoenix ranked 398th in popularity for the year he was born, 2008.
  • The name Ariana ranked 84th for the year she was born, 2011.
  • Phoenix & Ariana both have names that are rooted in mythology. I was never obsessed with mythology, but I always thought the coolest names were the ones that were mythological in origin. :) 
Lisa
As for me, the name Lisa means "God is my oath, devoted to God, God’s promise". Though I'm not living up to that aspect of the name I was given, and I'm okay with that. Sometimes a name is just a name and that's it. Perhaps names shouldn't be created to be lived up to, but rather to be redefined.

What does your name mean? Do you feel you live up to it or redefine it? Leave a comment below! :) 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...