From Vegetarian To Omnivore

Monday, May 26, 2014 0 Comments A+ a-

I've been a vegetarian for 5½ years now. I read the book Skinny Bitch while highly under the influence of all of those crazy postpartum hormones, and never looked back. The movie Forks Over Knives also had a big impact on my decision to stay vegetarian. I was convinced that vegetarianism was the way to go... not just for me, but for everyone. Then, somewhere along the way, my mindset began to change. Blogs like Enjoying This Journey changed the way I saw meat. Instead of seeing meat as "bad", I saw how it could really be great for some people. I also started re-evaluating when I looked and felt the best. Hands-down, it was when I was in college, working out 5 days a week, and eating an omnivore diet.

You see, I became vegetarian... sure for animals... sure for health... but mostly in an attempt to look good. Fit. Skinny. I've now been workout out for over a year, and recently got a trainer. He took one look at my jello-like legs, and informed me that I was not eating enough protein. We went over my fitness goals, and where I want to be. Well, I want to be back in the best shape of my life... to look better than I did when I was  22... and I want to look that way at age 34, after becoming a mother to two kids. Basically... my goal is to look something like this once again:


And, as much I have loved being a vegetarian, but I don't enjoy living off of fake meat substitutes and beans. So, I think it might be time for a change. No matter how much I love animals, my health comes first. I'm a bit scared, and have yet to add meat back into my diet, but I'm getting there mentally. This article on How To Eat Meat has certainly been helpful. I guess that right now, I'm willing to do what it takes to get into amazing shape. My plan is to slowly start introducing meat back into my diet, so my system can become used to it. 

Do I regret being a vegetarian for the last 5½ years? Not at all. I thought I had a pretty good idea of what made up a healthy diet, and as I learn more, I'm adjusting that ideal. And ya know what? I'll continue to listen to my body and adjust. I'm looking forward to starting a whole new food adventure soon as I return back to the life of an omnivore.   

Oh, and what's that I see? Aah, yup. My mother-in-law smiling from ear-to ear. ;)

Thank you so much for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment below. I appreciate and respond to each and every one. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...