Fire Safety Lesson {Preschool, Kindergarten, 1st Grade}

Monday, July 21, 2014 0 Comments A+ a-

This is a re-post about the fire safety lesson we did in August of 2012.

I've always been fascinated by homeschooling. I've never been homeschooled. I don't know anyone who homeschools... but I still finding myself more curious to what it's all about, and if it's right for my family. From what I've read, the most important thing to do if you're interested in homeschooling is to just start where you are. Homeschooling as just a big experiment. It's an experiment in getting to know your child better, and watching them learn about the world around them. To start your own experiment in home schooling, just take things that your child is interested in, and create a lesson around them.

Phoenix is obsessed with fireman and saving people who need help, so I thought this would be a perfect place to start. We got a few books about fire safety, a handful of DVDs (which were a big hit), and even had a picture for him to color.

Fire Safety Books

Fire Safety DVDs


  Our Fire Safety Lesson Included:
  • Checking all of the outlets in our home to see if they were fire hazards
  • Locating & testing the smoke detectors in our house
  • Locating the fire extinguisher in our home & discussing how it is to be used
  • What to do if the fire alarm goes off in our house
  • How to check the door to see if there's fire on the other side
  • How & why to crawl if there's a fire
  • Practicing climbing out a bedroom window
  • Had a fire drill, and went at our meeting place outside of our home
  • Reading about fireman & fire safety
  • Watching DVDs about fire safety
It was really an amazing way to start teaching my son at home, and I was excited that he was able to learn so much useful information about a topic that he was very interested in. Hopefully, he'll never have to use it, but as a parent, it feels great that at least he knows what to do in case of a fire.

I'm looking forward to continuing various methods & lessons in home schooling. If I seem a bit more absent than usual from my blog, it's only because I'm so consumed with taking a more hands-on approach in the education of my two amazing children. :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...