I'm 22 Weeks Pregnant! PLUS: How Much Does Genetic Testing For Pregnancy Cost?

Monday, May 18, 2015 0 Comments A+ a-

I'm officially 22 weeks pregnant, and this time around, things are a bit different. While I've always tried to eat healthy, I feel like I'm doing a much better job at eating healthier foods this time around. The kids and I have been working on eating less sugar as well as eating a fresh fruit or veggie with every meal. I'm also back to being an omnivore, so that has also made a major difference in my diet. I'm also working out regularly, doing kickboxing 4-5 days a week, though it's getting tough! Kickboxing will be put on hold soon, and I'm planning on focusing on more weightlifting and prenatal workouts.

NOW: Baby bump - 22 weeks pregnant with baby #3
 
THEN: 21 weeks pregnant with my little girl.
  This is also the first time I've had a high risk pregnancy - in my case, due to "advanced maternal age" of 35. As part of managing my pregnancy, it was suggested multiple times that I have genetic testing done to test for various abnormalities as well as chromosomal disorders.

At age 35, I have a 1/378 risk of down's syndrome and a 1/192 risk of a chromosomal abnormality.



I'm currently waiting back for my test results. But... what I did want to share with you today was the cost of having genetic testing done. After spending 2 weeks working with my insurance to see what was covered, I now have an answer.

I had all of the genetic testing done that was offered at my doctor's office. The verifi® test by Progenity is a non-invasive prenatal test that detects:

  • Down syndrome (Trisomy 21), which is caused by an extra copy of chromosome 21
  • Edwards syndrome (Trisomy 18), which is caused by an extra copy of chromosome 18
  • Patau syndrome (Trisomy 13), which is caused by an extra copy of chromosome 13
The test can also detect abnormalities of the sex chromosomes:
  • Turner syndrome (Monosomy X), which is caused by a missing X chromosome in females
  • Klinefelter syndrome (XXY), which is caused by an extra X chromosome in males
  • Jacobs syndrome (XYY), which is caused by an extra Y chromosome in males
  • Triple X syndrome (XXX), which is caused by an extra X chromosome in females
Today, I received an explanation of benefits in the mail with a breakdown of the cost for all of the testing I had done. The total cost for the genetic testing before insurance was $2,100. After my insurance company negotiated prices, the cost came down to $254. 

And, for those curious, here's a chart that shows your chances of getting pregnant by your age. This was a surprise, as I always thought it was common and easy to have a baby in your mid-30s to 40s, but it's actually not that common at all.



I'm hoping this information will be useful for other women looking for more detailed information about how much genetic testing for pregnancy costs as well as other info relating to having a baby when you're a bit older.

Have you had children? How old were you when they were born? Feel free to leave a comment below. As always, I read and respond to each and every one. :) 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...