Does this mean I'm a runner?

Monday, September 19, 2016 0 Comments A+ a-

I've always hated running. Back in jr. high, I was In cross country and track. Not because I enjoyed it, but because I thought I needed to have a few sports listed on my college application. My older sister ran too, and for some reason, I thought I should do whatever she did. So I ran, and I hated it. You know that girl coming in with a 12-14 minute mile? That was me... and I hated every step.

Fast forward to a few months ago, the husband had started running during lunchtime, and would come home and talk about it... how meditative it is, how great it felt to get outside, and I was actually intrigued! For once, perhaps the first time in my life, I actually wanted to run! I knew I had to start at zero, so I downloaded the "Couch To 5K" app C25K and Map My Run to track my progress. I bought some running shoes, set my alarm clock, and started running in the mornings.

And, I gotta say, for the first time ever, I actually like running.




I love getting up early to get a quick workout in. I've always been a morning person. As a mother of three, I feel like my days are so packed with taking care of my children, that the only time I really have to myself is when they are all sleeping. By running in the morning, I'm able to take advantage of the fact that the kids will not likely need me for anything. I also get to take advantage of the fact that their father is still at home, so I don't need to worry about finding child care. 


I love the fresh air. I'm typically an indoors person. I love air conditioning, especially in the heat of the summer. I hate sitting outside in the sun, sweating, with bugs flying everywhere. But, for some reason, I'm not as bothered by these things when I'm running. I expect to work up a sweat, so that's no big deal. And, for the most part, the bugs never bother me. I love breathing in the fresh morning air... and until I started running again, I had practically forgotten what it smells like.    



I love the scenery. The early morning skies provide me with constellations I haven't noticed in years. I look up to the sky to see Orion. I watch the phases of the moon pass by. I'm also fortunate to live ridiculously close to a beautiful wildlife preserve. When it comes to a morning run, there's no place I'd rather be. I've seen the most beautiful sunrises coming over top of the water. I love that I have to scan my area for deer, scare off skunks and egrets off the trail. 



When I started tracking my runs in July, I was running 2.31 miles in 34 min, averaging a 14:42 mile (including warmup/cooldown. Now, just 8 weeks later, I ran 2.84 miles in 29:25, averaging a 10:22 mile! Given my running history, I think it's safe to say that this was a lifetime personal best. 


Thanks for reading. What's your favorite way to exercise? Leave a comment below. As always, I read and respond to each and every one!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...