Starting Weekly Family Goals {Raising Successful Kids}

Wednesday, September 07, 2016 0 Comments A+ a-

Ever since school started, it has been tough to get my son interested in going back to taekwondo. He just doesn't want the structure after a long school day, and I understand. I've long preached about the importance of kids having unstructured free time. That's what my 7-year-old son wants. I get it. I believe life is too short to spend time doing things you don't love that don't make you happy. Especially as a child.

My husband, on the other hand, is a different story. He is worried that by allowing our son to stop going to taekwondo now (a month before his 1-year contract is up) that we will be sending a message that he doesn't need to finish things. That goals aren't important. By not forcing him to go to taekwondo, are we setting him up for a life of failure? 

How realistic is it for a then 6-year-old to select a goal (black belt) that would require at least 2 years to obtain? That's 1/3 of his entire life. Heck, most adults don't keep New Years Resolutions beyond a month, how could I expect a 6-year-old to set a goal that would require 2 years of work & commitment?  

I wanted everyone to win. I wanted my son to be happy. I wanted my husband to know there were other ways we could incorporate goals into our life. So, as a family, we have started weekly goals. Every Saturday, we sit down together, review each of our goals for the previous week, and set new goals for the week ahead. We also take turns picking one "family goal".

Individual goals have included no purchasing junk food, running 4 days, playing X-Box 2 days, playing alone, playing in the sandbox, etc. Right now,  I'm not putting any sort of restrictions on anyone's goals. When my son suggested an "X-Box Goal" one week, I was tempted to have him change it, but I didn't because I realize there is value in him having fun. Heck, I wouldn't discount a reading goal for myself just because I enjoy reading. Goals related to having fun are okay.  

Goals Must Be
1. Specific - Have fun isn't a goal. Play X-Box for 2 days is.
2. Measurable - You need to know when a specific goal is accomplished. 
3. Attainable - No junk food would be tough for me. No pop is attainable.
4. Realistic - Go surfing, would be an awesome goal, but it's not gonna happen here in Ohio. 
5. Timely - The 1-week time frame works great for us.
6. Independent - It needs to be a goal you can accomplish without relying anyone else. 

We're currently on our 2nd week of family goals, and so far, it has been going great! If you have kids a highly recommend it. Heck, even of you don't have kids... set goals with your partner or friends. Stop by and let me know how it's going for you. And, share this post wit someone you know needs to see it.

Thank you so much for stopping by! What do you think of this post? Leave a comment below. As always, I read and respond to each and every one. :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...