My Journey Toward Less: Beginning In The Basement

Thursday, January 05, 2017 0 Comments A+ a-



I've been blogging about organizing, decluttering, and minimalism for a few years now. And, as much as I keep trying to get rid of the things I don't love, it can be tough. New purchases, holiday gifts, and birthday gifts quickly add to the clutter.

So, to hold myself accountable, and perhaps inspire others, I've decided to start documenting my journey toward less. I am starting in my basement of my relatively small home. My husband and I would like to finish our basement, but in order to know how much space we need to store our stuff, we need to know how much stuff we really need to keep.

At home, I've been going through each and every item in my basement, and plan to continue to do so until it's finished. Gary Vaynerchuk nails it with his phrase "garage sale your house". Sometimes people go to garage sales to find stuff they can sell for a profit later. Well, pretty much everybody has stuff they can already do this with. No need to even go to a garage sale. Just look around your house for things you don't need, love, or use. 

It's really an easy process that just takes a few minutes. I pick up an item, and decide it's fate immediately.

  • If I think somebody would buy it, I take it upstairs, photograph it, and list it immediately on Facebook sale pages, eBay, Amazon, or all of the above. 
  • If I don't think somebody will buy it, but it still might be useful to someone, I put it in the donate pile.
  • If it's outgrown its period of usefullness, I recycle it if possible. If not, it's trashed.
  • And, if it can still be useful to me, I find a place to keep it.   


Today's Progress

Trashed
  • 1 Christmas tree with broken lights
  • 2 expired car seats
  • 1 old rug left over from our home's previous owners
Listed
  • 1 stuffed animal (people actually buy them on ebay!)
  • 4 books on Amazon


Sold
  • snowboard & boots (sold for $100)

I was inspired to share this journey after watching Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things on Netflix. If you can, I highly recommend this documentary. They talk to a number of well-known minimalists, and get different perspectives on what minimalism is for different people.

Thanks for stopping by. What area of your house do you need to purge the most? Leave a comment. As always, I read and respond to each and every one.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...