What Does A Stay-At-Home Mom Do All Day?

Friday, February 17, 2017 0 Comments A+ a-

The other day I had a conversation with my husband where he questioned how much I was spending time with the kids vs spending time doing other stuff... like blogging, selling junk online, and doing chores. After all, the reason I decided to leave my job as a graphic designer to become a stay at home mom was to spend more time with the kids. First, I can say without a doubt, I'm spending much more quality time with my kids than I was ever able to as a working mom. (Hats off to ALL the working moms out there - you're working hard to make that shit happen, and I have nothing but respect for you!) I also enjoy life much more now. In fact, I see my life right now almost like an early retirement. I don't have a 9-5, and get to make my own decisions about what I do with my time.   

The conversation with my husband really got me thinking about how my husband doesn't really know what goes on at home once he leaves for work. He can kinda guess by what he sees when he's home, but that's me operating in a different mode than I do when he's gone. I'm much more relaxed, and less productive when my husband is around. 

So, what does a stay at home mom do all day? It's an intriguing question, one I've asked myself before becoming one. As a SAHM, every day is different. Life changes as the kids get older, so there's never one answer. The answer changes every day. For the sake of this blog post, I'll use yesterday as an example.

Oh, and to give you some context, I'm a mother of three kids ages 8, 5, and 16 months. :)

6:45 a.m. - Wake up & get ready for the day
6:50 a.m. - Prepare breakfast for the 8-year old. Eat and talk together. 
7:10 a.m. - Help 8-year-old brush & floss. (Sometimes he does the brushing on his own, but we try to floss daily.)
7:20 a.m. - Wake up 5-year old. Help get her breakfast. Get the 8-year-old on the bus.
7:30 a.m. - Light house cleaning
7:45 a.m. - Start babysitting 
8:00 a.m. - Brush 5-year-old's teeth
8:15 a.m. - Get kindergartners on the bus
8:30 a.m. - Light house cleaning. Feed the baby. Check email. Post items for sale on eBay, Amazon, and Facebook.
9:30 a.m. - Naptime for baby. While she sleeps in my arms, watch YouTube, & browse Facebook
11:30 a.m. - Pick up kindergartner
12:00 p.m. - Lunch
12:30 p.m. - Play with kindergartner. (It's my goal to give each child 20 min of individual time each day. I let the child choose the activity, and give my attention to playing 100%. No phones. No distractions. )
1:00 p.m. - Light house cleaning. Feed the baby. Check email. Post items for sale on eBay, Amazon, and Facebook.
2:30 p.m. -  Naptime for baby. While she sleeps in my arms, watch YouTube, & browse Facebook
3:30 p.m. -  Get 8-year-old off bus. Discuss day. 
4:30 p.m. -  Prep dinner OR get baby to sleep.
5:00 p.m. -  Dinner
6:45 p.m. -  Leave for kickboxing
8:00 p.m. -  Shower
8:30 p.m. -  Relax/Netflix/Facebook/Youtube/Reddit
10:00 p.m. -  Bedtime

And, well, that's it, really! 

Surprised? Super-mom or super-lazy? I'd love to hear! Feel free to leave a comment below. I appreciate and respond to each and every one. :)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...